Wickford Public Library




Wickford Public Library c.1898
presently the Town Hall Annex
55 Brown Street

This richly detailed civic building was designed in the form of a temple. The library was built as a gift to the village by merchant C. Allen Chadsey and designed by architect F.J. Sawtelle of Providence. At the 1899 dedication of the library, the structure was described as “altogether one of the most striking and complete edifices of its character in the state.” Notice the classical temple features: the free-standing 2-story columns, proportional pediment, and leading stairs.

© Copyright HistWick - Designed by Pexeto