Straight-Reynolds House




Straight-Reynolds House Built: 1880 Architectural Style: Victorian, Second Empire

This impressive home at 26 Pleasant Street was built in 1880 by local merchant Stephen R. Straight who ran a large variety store in the Gregory Building during the last quarter of the 1800’s. He chose this lot for his home because it was central to all that was important to his family; their store, the Wickford Baptist Church and the Wickford Academy, the school where their daughters received their education. They left the village in the 1890’s when they relocated their store to Providence. The house was then purchased by Joseph G. Reynolds Sr., who had just retired from the jewelry business in Providence and returned here to the village of his birth to assume the treasurers position at the Wickford Savings Bank recently held by his father Capt. Stephen Reynolds who had just died.

  Reynolds son, Joseph Jr. went to school here in town and was immediately noted for his artistic abilities. They enrolled him in the fledgling RI School of Design and young Joseph took full advantage of his daily trips north on the Sea View trolley to college. Upon graduation, he continued his studies of medieval stained glass in England and Europe and finishing up there, came back to Wickford as one of the most promising stained glass artisans in America.  By 1920 Joseph Reynolds Jr.  opened his own stained glass studio in Boston and the rest is, as they say, history. His inspiring and majestic work of art can be seen all over America and Europe as well as little St. Paul’s Church and this fine home right here in Wickford.

This house was later owned by the Himes family and Rowland K. Hazard.

© Copyright HistWick - Designed by Pexeto